- This event has passed.
xXx Racing-Athletico Relay Cross
- Registration: There will be NO RACE DAY registration available. We are doing this to minimize queuing at the registration tent for the safety of our volunteers and our race attendees as it relates to COVID-19.
- Relay Parnters: For all races other than Relay Roulette, one teammate must sign up and pay for BOTH members of your team. Once the first teammate has registered and paid, that teammate will have the option to email a link to the second teammate to fill in their personal information like USA Cycling (USAC) license number, birthdate, etc.
- Team names: When choosing a team name, please select a unique team name to share with your relay partner. DO NOT enter your USA Cycling team affiliation.
- More info: Scroll down for more information about how Relay Cross works, finding race partners, what type of bicycle to ride, etc.
COVID-19: Please remember that COVID-19 is still a public health issue and should be treated as such. Riders should not join, and will not be allowed to remain at, team events if sick or symptomatic (with cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever of 100.4° F or above, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, or other COVID symptoms). Sick or symptomatic riders are encouraged to seek a COVID-19 test at a state or local government testing center, healthcare center, or other testing locations, and follow guidelines for self-isolation. Do not attend practice crits within 14 days of a positive COVID test, any COVID-related symptoms, or exposure to someone known to be infected with COVID-19. The team will continue to monitor the situation and communicate updates to the team on a regular basis.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Mature Trees, open fields, off-camber turns, and a few asphalt sections await you on this ecologically-friendly, fast, power course.
- Online registration closes the Friday night at 11:59PM, August 27th.
- There will be NO RACE DAY registartion available. We are doing this to minimize queuing at the registration tent for the safety of our volunteers and our race attendees as it relates to COVID-19.
- All riders must sign a USAC rider release form electronically when they register through BikeReg.com.
LICENSES: All races will be held under USA Cycling permit 2021-4055. Riders without an annual USAC licenses will be required to purchase a 1-day license for $10. 1-year and renewals will be available at registration.
All USAC rules apply. Helmets are required at all times.
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION: Beginners: All first-year racers and one-day licenses must race Novice, Masters, Juniors, Women Open, or Coed Open. Please check your USAC license. If you disagree with your CX category, apply for an upgrade at USACycling.org.
DIRECTIONS: From Lake Shore Drive take Hayes Drive west. Two parking areas for riders: Parking #1 is EAST of LSD and SOUTH of Hayes. Parking #2 is WEST of LSD and NORTH of Hayes. Do NOT park in boat ramp lot on SW corner. You will be TOWED.
How does Relay Cross work? You and a partner take turns racing laps around the cyclocross course, tagging each other at the end of each lap. It’s really that simple. It is the most laid-back, low-pressure introduction to cyclocross and the cyclocross season around! Check out some race videos from our friends Rachel and John Gatto from years past.
Relay Partners: Don’t have a Relay Cross race partner to race with? Please let us know, and we will help you find a race partner! There are co-ed, men’s, women’s (W/F/T), juniors, and master’s (35+) races, so there is something for everyone, and there are opportunities to race multiple times throughout the day.
Bicycles: You can use a cyclocross bike, mountain bike, gravel bike… whatever bike you think will get you through the grass, dirt, and gravel on the cyclocross course. You can share a bike with your race partner or each race your own bikes. Don’t have a suitable bike??? Please let us know, and we will do our best to help you find a bike you can use for the races.
Relay Roulette Charity Race: As part of Relay Cross we have a fundraising race, Relay Roulette, where two riders are paired together at random for the race and all the entry fees ($10/rider) are donated to a Chicago-area cycling non-profit as chosen by the race’s winning team. Since 2016, we have raised over $4,500 through Relay Roulette for local cycling non-profits like West Town Bikes, Blackstone Bicycle Works, Experimental Station, and the Northbrook Cycling Committee, which oversees the programs at the Ed Rudolph Velodrome. If you sign up to race any of the Relay Cross races, you are eligible to register for the Relay Roulette race for just $10.
Questions: Have any other questions? Please reach out and let us know!